On the web
A position in creative photography, working with likeminded, quality-oriented individuals
2011 and currently – Contract Photographer for Kaiser Permanente health Insurance providers Atlanta, Georgia area. Providing professional head shots, providing internal communications intranet photography needs and teaching employee seminars on personal and professional photo skills.
1987-2008. News Photography, Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
Studio photography and photo-illustration. Shot portrait, fashion, lifestyle, food and product photography, in-studio and on location, coordinating with Style editor on selecting models and clothing. Designed and built custom sets and props, and did food styling. Conceived and created section cover photo-illustrations with page designers and section editors. Created rough shots and marker comps to “sell” ideas to editors and department management prior to follow through on full scale images. Estimated budgets for larger more complicated images when applicable.
Sports, events and special assignment photography for Atlanta Journal-Consitution. Shot outdoor sports, including kayak fishing, caving, bicycle racing, backpacking. Shot and/or edited and processed images for joint AJC-published hardcover books:
• “Miracle Season: The Inside Story of the 1991 Race for Baseball Glory” (Turner Publishing, 1991)
• “Encore: The Inside Story of the Atlanta Braves’ … National League Championship” (Longstreet Press, 1992)
• “Appalachian Adventure: A Spectacular Journey on the American Trail,” a Pulitzer Prize nominee (Longstreet Press, 1995)
• “One Glorious Summer: A Photographic History of the 1996 Centennial Olympic Games: (Longstreet Press, 1996)
• “Destiny’s Dogs: Georgia’s Championship Season” (Sports Publishing L.L.C., 2003)
Videographer and still photo image processor for the bicycle racing book and video, “The Race Across America: The Story and Pictures of the 1994 Manheim/Powerade Team (Atlanta Journal-Constitution).
Covered the January, 2008 search for missing hiker Meredith Emerson in North Georgia, and the manhunt for her murderer, coordinating with GBI and local authorities.
Photo contest coordinator and co-moderator for The Best of Cox competition, 2002-2008. Compiled photo entries from numerous metro, community and Spanish language Cox Corp. newspapers for judging. Moderated contest judging, kept rules and categories clear through the two-day judging stages.
Asset manager of AJC’s photographic staff gear and equipment pool, including cataloging, issuing and tracking communal and issued staff photo gear, and maintenance and repair.
Supervisory experience: AJC Photo Lab Manager 1995-2002. Supervised a staff of four image technicians during the transition from the lab’s use of black-and-white film and prints to color film; from the color negative to digital scanning process; and the final conversion to an all-digital workflow in early 2000. Maintained software and 15 Macintosh workstations, was department’s IT support and Photoshop go-to guy for staffers new to the digital world.
PhotoMechanic image editing software
Mac OSX operating systems
National Geographic Topo! mapping software
Panorama Maker software
Nikon Camera Control
Image retrieval software for camera CF cards
Filemaker Pro software for asset management and inventory
Prepress and interface softwares for Epson and HP printers
Studio digital photography, fashion/style, headshot, portrait, full body, etc.
Photo studio management and repair of lighting and power supply systems
Photo illustration concept, design, construction, miniature photo illustration concept and construction
Outdoor action sports photography, kayaking, backpacking, climbing, bicycling, image capture techniques
Photo restoration and retouching techniques using digital and traditional technology
Image editing (my own and others) for sports, news, and features events
Caption writing for assignments adhering to AP standards
Dye and pigment based printer for contest entry selections and wall quality staff images
Alien Bee lighting and accessory systems
Nikon digital camera systems and flash systems D and SB 35mm digital systems
Macintosh G5 computer laptops and desktops
Traditional photo (darkroom and automated process film-based systems)
basic hand tools for minor repair and construction in studio
Radio control flash trigger mechanisms ie. Pocket Wizard remotes
Traditional pigment and dye airbrush
Class M Georgia motorcycle license holder for race photography assistance
Outdoor gear including, basic climbing (caving) and descending gear, sea kayaking, mountain biking, map and compass work, etc.
Two-way radio usage for large sporting event coverage ie. Masters golf tournament
Small handheld digital video cameras and small point and shoot varieties of still cameras
Managing Diversity 2007 Cox Enterprises – Managing an ever changing and emerging vibrant workforce in todays corporate environment.
Civil Law for Managers 2006 Cox Enterprises – Learning about new laws and how they affect the modern workplace environment.
Workplace Violence, Precaution & Leadership Reaction 2006 Cox Enterprises – What to do if things get past the boiling point at work. What to do if an outsider breaches security and invades your workplace.
Adult CPR & First Aid certificate 2005 – Atlanta Journal-Constitution/American Red Cross
Volunteer In Patrol (VIP) training and certification 2009 Dekalb Police Department Interactive Community Services (Center Precinct). Recognizing, patrolling and handling criminal and potential criminal behavior in neighborhoods. Effectively contacting, directing and informing emergency and 911 county services in the event of criminal activities. Assisting as needed and in association with local authorities for needed tasks and recent relevant watch needs. Understanding the important difference between biased profiling and criminal profiling.
C.E.R.T. (Community Emergency Response Training) 2010 certificate. Completion of 9 week course and training exercises for CERT designation. Dekalb Emergency Management Agency and Federal Emergency Management Agency. Disaster preparedness, medical operations and analysis, triage set-up and management, fire suppression, disaster psychology, CERT team organization, search and rescue and home disaster kit building. Dealing with and working alongside professional emergency responders and becoming a useful team member.
• Location technical support during Hurricane Hugo, Charleston, SC., 1989. Set up and operated on-site film/digital darkroom during the storm and its aftermath.
• Location photo technician and picture editor 1990 – 2008 at Masters Golf Tournaments, Augusta, Ga.
• Supervised the lab staff during the 1996 Summer Olympics, Atlanta. Managed a massive workflow that included processing over 5,000 rolls of film and digitizing more than 1,400 images. Coordinated with all staff photographers, 10 picture editors, stringers and film/CF card runners.
• Assembled and photographed over 3,000 product shots published in various newspaper sections.
• Staff photographer for the AJC “Better Health” weekly section supplement 2006-2008. Photo illustrations, food and exercise step-by-step segments.
• Primary food photographer for “Recipe” and “5 O’clock Challenge,” in the “Food and Drink” section, also numerous section covers involving styling and lighting challenges.
• Photographed staff and guest columnists’ portraits for signature image column sigs.
Awards and Recognition
• Georgia Press Association. First Place, Photo Illustration category for “Piece of the Pie,” 2008.
Georgia Press Association. First place, Photo Illustration category for “Gifts for Grads?” 2008
Georgia Press Association. Second place, Photo Illustration category for “Afraid to go out in the Sun?” 2008
• Georgia Associated Press. Second Place, Photo Illustration category for “Allergies,” 2007. The image also took Third Place, Photo Illustration category, in the Atlanta Seminar on Photojournalism print competition, 2007.
• Society for News Design. Best New Section Award for “Better Health” section, 2006.
• Best of Cox Design Award for “Better Health” section, 2007.
• Best of Cox citation for sports photography for “Tour de Georgia,” 2007.
• Best of Cox citation for best illustration for “Allergies,” 2007.
1981-1987. Overhead architectural camera operator at Atlanta Blueprint & Graphics Co., Atlanta. This exacting work with artwork, scaled engineering plans and architectural drawings required accuracy and exceptional attention to detail, while meeting tight deadlines.
1979-1981. Darkroom custom printer for H&W Portrait Studios of Atlanta, a Hunt family-owned business in operation since 1935.